Desi Diarrhea

Explosive liquid thoughts on all things Indian. Warm & pleasant sometimes. Painful & disgusting at other times. Always brown.

Monday, March 27, 2006

My not so excellent trip back from Delhi to NYC

Chaos reigns in Delhi. I like New Delhi for the most part. But Indira Gandhi International Airport is a national Indian tragedy. I flew out of there on Sat, March 25 to New York via Paris, and it felt like 80% of India was at the airport. No order, no system - just chaos and thousands, no millions, of people. Luckily, the Government has selected a consortium led by the GMR group to develop the Delhi airport, but this cannot happen soon enough.

My experience at the airport was made worse by the fact that I was dehydrated and fainted while in the customs line. While I don't know their names, I'd like to thank the uncle with the hat who gave me some water, the shaved bald doctor (I think) with his kids and wife who immediately took action when I passed out and the older British woman (another doctor I believe) who assured me it was just dehydration and not the Bird Flu (thankfully). The airport doctors were also pretty helpful as was the guy who pushed my wheelchair through security and to the airplane.

Once I finally got on the plane, I'd like to acknowledge the generally unpleasant and smelly French couple who I sat next to who seemed upset by the fact that I was ill. During this trip, it dawned on me that the French are generally a pretty bitter and unhappy lot who I don't particularly care for (that's another blog entry though).

As soon as I sat on the plane and was seated, I proceeded to vomit into a air sickness bag but also missed a bit and had vomit all over my shirt. The prospect of festering in my own vomit from New Delhi to NYC was not pleasant, BUT thanks to my wonderful fiance, I had an extra set of clothes in my hand luggage which I could change into to feel a little less disgusting.

We then took off and I passed out (on purpose) and awoke in Paris.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    u found the french couple smelly and unpleasant??

    u vomitted before the flight, missed and had it land on your shirt and u were sitting next to them.. i guess u got used to the nauseating smell of your own vomit that u slept in peace al the way to Paris!! But the people next to u had to sit next u knowing that you had just puked.. yukk.. disgusting little pig. i will look around for a blog by the french couple describing their wonderful trip from Delhi to Paris. i am sure they have some to say about you. lets get to both sides of this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home